If you are hoping to place the right air purifier in your basement, you need to know what is available and what options are there for you to choose from. Not only that, but you also should consider the features that you want along with the benefits of using these devices. Keep reading on to find out more about how to pick the right air purifier to place in the basement to clean the air from the entire home with our comprehensive guide.
Top 8 Best Air Purifiers For Basements Reviewed
There are so many options for air purifiers that it might seem like a complicated decision, especially if you haven’t purchased one before. However, here are 8 of the top models that you should look at, including:
Best Overall: SilverOnyx Air Purifier for Basement
If you want the best of the best, then this black model that measures 10.5” x 10.5” x 16.5” will be ideal. It can handle a room of 500 square feet, and it not only uses the True Hepa medical grade H13 filter, but it also has the pre-filter to ensure all particles are removed from the air. It has 5 stages for cleaning the air with highly advanced purification and an activated carbon filter.
It also has a clean air ionizer that uses an activated carbon filter, UV light and the ionizer to clean the air, which makes it a highly sophisticated system to give you fresh air.
For those who want only the best, then you should ensure that this model is at the top of your list for options.
Runner Up: InvisiClean Aura II Air Purifier for Basement
Another good option that you can look at that has a modern and sleek design is this model that is 12.34” x 6.25” x 17.75” in size would be great. It can deal with a room of around 300 square feet, which means it can be ideal for your basement or even a smaller apartment if required. This will be ideal for anyone with allergies since it can get rid of pet dander, dust mites, and even pollen to keep your air fresh and clean.
It uses the H13 medical grade HEPA filtration system to get rid of 99.97% of all particles in the air, which includes using the pre-filter.
If you want to get something that won’t break the bank, but is still going to highly efficient, then make sure to take a look at this model.
Most Advanced: Molekule Air Purifier for Basement
If you want something advanced, this might be the perfect model for you, and it has a modern and elegant design. This is 8.25” x 8.25” x 32 inches in size, and it has an easy to use handle that you can hold while moving it from spot to spot. It also uses the PECO nanotechnology or photoelectrochemical oxidation to destroy mold, bacteria, allergens, viruses, and VOCs.
This would be great for larger rooms of around 600 square feet in size, and you can use the touch-screen based display for operating. It also has an application that can be used for Android or iOS based phones that can be used over WiFi.
For those who want something that uses the latest technology to keep you safe and healthy, you need to put this model on your list.
Alen BreatheSmart Air Purifier
If you want to know just how well the device is performing, this model comes with sensors. This means that the filtration system can be adjusted as needed, and it will save you power while still being extremely efficient. The controls are very well-designed and simple to use, and it has a sleek design, which will be ideal for any room in the house. This will deal with an area of around 1,200 square feet, which means it is ideal for any home.
For larger homes or bedrooms this model is going to be great and it is also child friendly so you don’t have to worry about anything.
Coway Airmega Air Purifier
This is another great option that can handle a room of around 1,250 square feet and it is going to be expensive, but very worth what you spend on it. The pre-filter that is used is washable, which means that you don’t have to replace anything other than the carbon and HEPA filter regularly. There are plenty of smart options that you can choose from, including the timer function that lets you place it in the basement and forget about it.
For large homes this model is going to be ideal and you should ensure that you are putting it on the list to see if it fits your needs.
IQ Air HealthPro Plus Air Purifier
This model uses the best hyperHEPA filtration system that is going to be perfect for dealing with musty air. This machine is medical grade, which means that it might not be ideal for your home, especially since it has a high price tag. However, this would be ideal for those who have medical issues or allergies that require you have very clean air, then this is going to be suitable.
This will be able to handle a room of more than 800 square feet, which means it can handle the entire basement or even a floor in your home. It has caster wheels that make this heavy and big unity easy to move from space to space as needed.
If you want something that you can be sure the brand will stand behind, then this model with a 10 year warranty might be perfect.
Alen Breathesmart FIT50 Air Purifier
If you have a smaller basement of around 700 square feet, then this top brand model might be great for all of your needs. This will be ideal for all homes, and it has a lifetime warranty, and it can easily operate in your home. The controls are easy to use, and it has a design that is going to be modern yet elegant, and it can easily fit in your basement.
This will come in different colors so you can create one that will work for all rooms, especially if you want to use it somewhere other than the basement.
If you are searching for something that you can customize from the design to the filters, then this might be the right model for your needs.
Fellows AeraMax 300 Air Purifier
This isn’t a new model, but it is still one of the top recommended options from experts and users all over the world. This has a 4 stage system for filtration that is ideal for a room of around 600 square feet and great for asthma and allergy sufferers. This is going to be a great option if you don’t want to spend a lot of money without compromising on the results that you would be breathing in.
This model might not be great for a bedroom since the bright lights can’t be shut off and it is loud, but if you are going to place it in the basement, then it is perfect.
If you want something you can put into the basement and forget about, this model would be great, especially if you don’t mind the bright lights and loud noise.
Air Purifiers For Basements Buying Guide
It would help if you thought a lot about purchasing your air purifier for the basement, including the benefits of purchasing one. Not only that, but you should consider the key features that you would want your machine to have when you are searching. The more you know about the machines and what you want, the easier the choice would be, so keep reading on to find out more.
Top Benefits of Using a Basement Air Purifier
You need to be aware of and think about the top advantages that would come along with having the top air purifier in your basement. There are so many that it might be hard to keep them all straight, but here are some of the top ones, including:
- Clean air throughout the house – If you choose the right model that can handle larger rooms or spaces, then you are going to get clean air throughout your entire home. Ensure that you are figuring out just how big of an area the machine can handle and then seeing if your space fits. The better the machine is, the cleaner the air would be, which means fewer illnesses in your family and less suffering from allergies.
- Gets rid of mold – The basement tends to get wet and moldy over time if you don’t take care of it or purify the air. The top benefit you can get when you have one placed in the basement is getting rid of the mold or even preventing it before building up. This will save you money in the long run, and it might seem like you are wasting money to put the air purifier in the basement, but you will see the benefit over time when you don’t have to deal with mold.
- No dust buildup – You might not go into the basement very often, which means that it won’t get cleaned regularly, and dust would build up. However, if you have the best air purifier placed there, then the dust will be regularly pulled into the machine and absorbed into the filters. This means that there won’t be as much dust build-up, so you don’t have to worry about your allergies spiking up or dealing with it when you go down to find something.
- Fights germs – The final advantage of installing a highly efficient air purifier in the basement is that it will help fight germs. You never know what is lingering in the air, which means that if you have a machine that is absorbing the air and the bacteria, viruses, or other pollutants, then the germs will be removed. This will help your family and yourself to remain healthy without any issues, especially if they are medically fragile or suffer from severe allergies.
Ensure that you are looking at these few benefits when considering why you want to purchase the right air purifier to place in the basement. It might not seem like it would be useful, but it can help keep the air clean and keep everyone healthy and safe from germs.
Key Features to Look for in a Basement Air Purifier
There are also a few key features that you should ensure that you are looking at when it comes to the basement based air purifier that you want to buy. If you know what these features are, then you can narrow down your list to those that have them and those that don’t. Some of these features include:
- Filtration system – You need to look at the filtration system used, which means knowing what it is. You want to have a HEPA based filter in the machine or even have an activated carbon-based filter as well along with a pre-filter. Make sure that you are looking at this before you make any final decision.
- Area of coverage – You also want to look at the coverage area to decide if it would be ideal for your basement and your home. If you know the recommended coverage area, you will be sure that the model will be efficient and can handle the air in that room without any issues.
- Mode of operation – Another thing you want to consider is how you can operate it and if it needs to have the buttons pushed, if there is a timer and if you can use a smartphone application. Ensure that you decide which option would suit your needs the best, and then find one that works.
- Maintenance – Also, think about how much maintenance would be required, which means how often the filters need to be changed. Some of them need to be changed out 1 time per year, but others need to be rinsed out when the air isn’t being cleaned properly. Think about this and how often you need to purchase the filters and much more.
- Noise production – The final thing to consider is how much noise the machine will make, especially if you want to use it somewhere outside of the basement. However, if you are placing it in the basement and won’t be close to it, you can opt for a noisier model with the same features.
Ensure that you are using these features to help you make the best choice about which of the many air purifier models you will pick from and use in your home.
Choosing the Right Size Air Purifier
There is plenty to consider when you are looking at different air purifiers’ sizes, and you need to think about this. Ensure that you are seeing what the recommended room or square footage will be for the models you are checking out. It would help if you compared this to the basement size you have and your home to pick the one that can easily and effectively handle the space.
Tips On Using the Air Purifier in a Basement
You should think about and know numerous tips and know when it comes to using your air purifier in the basement. Some of the top ones to know and use includes:
- Avoid obstructing the flow of air – You should make sure that you aren’t obstructing the airflow going in and out of the machine. This means that you need to have around 18 to 24 inches of space surrounding the unit to ensure that enough air is pulled in and pushed out.
- Placement – You might want to place it in the corner so that you don’t have to worry about it later. However, the better location to put it is in the middle since that means more airflow and a more efficient machine.
- Don’t turn it off – Another thing to know is that you shouldn’t ever turn the machine off unless you will be going away for a while. They often operate with the best performance if they are left on all day long, and the air will become cleaner.
- Close all doors and windows – ensure that your air purifier is placed in the basement that is closed, which means keeping all doors and windows closed. This will prevent the machine from having to work harder to keep the air clean over time.
- Check and replace filters often – Another thing that you need to ensure is that you are checking and changing out the filters regularly. This means that you might have to check them every few months to see if they are operating at the top performance level and, if they aren’t, then replacing them.
Go ahead and use these tips to help you figure out exactly where you will place the machine in the basement and other top things to know.
What are some ways that I can help to keep the air cleaner in the basement?
If you want to keep the air in the basement cleaner and healthier, then you should make sure to operate the machine all day and all night every day. Also, keep the doors, and all windows closed and make sure that it is in an area with plenty of airflows that it can pull in and push out.
How long will it take for the machine to clean all of the air?
It depends on the room’s size and the recommended square footage of the machine you purchased. The normal time would take around anywhere from 30 minutes up to 2 hours based on the room’s size and the machine.
Can I leave the machine on while I am gone for a few days?
If you are going on vacation, you can easily leave the machine on while you are gone, especially if it has an automatic shut-off feature. Ensure that if you often travel, you get an automatic tip-over or overheating shut-off features.
You must know everything about choosing the ideal air purifier for your home, including what features you want to have. You also need to be aware of the tips that would help you use it properly in the basement, including where to place it and maintenance. Make sure that you are using our comprehensive guide to help you make the right choice, so check out all of the listed models.