If you have plenty of extra moisture in the air in your home and want to get rid of it, then a dehumidifier will be ideal. After that, however, the question becomes, how do you pick the right one, and what are the pros and cons of each?
You would also want to consider the type of dehumidifier you choose, including one with a pump or that doesn’t. Here is everything you need to know about which dehumidifier to pick and our reviews of 5 of the top ones for 2020.
Is Pump Drainage a Necessity?
If you don’t want to deal with emptying the tank of your dehumidifier every day, then getting one with a pump will be vital. This is extremely important for the elderly or those with problems getting around since it would make everything easier.
The pump can help drain the water out of the machine directly and drain it into a sink, drain, or any other location. This is something that you are going to want to think about.
There are also numerous benefits of using a machine that has a pump on it, including:
- They don’t require any extra installation aside from setting up the hose to drain.
- It can be used and run while you aren’t at home without worrying about the water overflowing.
- Ideal for keeping it in your garage or basement without needing to empty it often.
These are just a few of the top reasons and benefits that you will be able to enjoy when you have a dehumidifier that uses a pump in your home. Ensure that you are thinking about if this is something you want to use and can be installed and used easily.
5 Best Dehumidifiers with Pump
It can be difficult to know what each dehumidifier offers and what one you should pick. Here are 5 of the top ones we used and everything you need to know about them.
Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 Dehumidifier with Pump
This is a 70-pint dehumidifier model, and the Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 dehumidifier is a power horse. It removes extra moisture within the air quickly and efficiently so that you can become comfortable without waiting a long additional time.
It is effortless to move around and durable, so you can place it wherever you want in the house without affecting anything.
This is also very quiet, especially when you look at the size, and the LED is visible and is extremely high quality in terms of build. There is also a handle on the top, but it isn’t as easy to move because it is huge and heavy.
The buttons are also easy to use and understand, so you can change the settings quickly and without problems.
TOSOT 70 pint dehumidifier with pump for large rooms
If you have a large room that you need to have the moisture removed from, then the TOSOT 70-pint dehumidifier is great. It can handle a room of up to 4,500 square feet without any issues, and it can handle around 70 pints of water.
This will be great if you want something to place in the basement that can easily do the entire space and surroundings.
It is pretty quiet for a machine of this size, around 48dB, which is around the same level as any conversation. If there is a power outage, the machine will start back up at the last settings programmed in when it turns back on. You can use this for your home or even a large apartment if you have the budget for this machine.
Keystone KSTAD50B 50 Pint Dehumidifier
This is a more affordable model than others in the same brand, and the Keystone KSTAD50B 50-pint dehumidifier is a great option. It uses much less power than the other models while removing more water and moisture from the air. It is also built of the highest quality materials, which means it will be durable and withstand much more weather and damage.
This can handle around 50 pints daily, and it is meant for those with a smaller budget and isn’t the quietest machine available. However, what it lacks in terms of noise control, it more than makes up for when it comes to removing the water easily from the air. It weighs around 36.3 pounds, so you can move it from room to room if necessary.
Ivation 70 Pint Energy Star Compressor Dehumidifier with Pump
For those who have a larger home and need something that can handle a room sized around 4,500 square feet, the Ivation 70-pint energy star compressor dehumidifier with a pump is perfect. It can remove around 70 pints of water daily and has a washable air filter, making maintenance easier. The fan also has 2 speeds that you can choose from, with a 1-year warranty.
The design is also very sleek, and the LED display is on the top of the machine, making it easy to read and even easier to operate. This is the best machine that you can use to program your choices without any problems easily. It can also help if you have allergies or want to keep your home free of dust, mildew, and mold.
Friedrich D70BPA Dehumidifier
This is another 70-pint dehumidifier, and the tank is much larger at 16.2 pints, so unless you use the pump, you will have to empty it a few times daily. The Friedrich D70BPA dehumidifier is pretty noisy, but it still is worth what you are paying for it, especially if you live in a large space. The hygrometer built in the machine is very accurate, which tells you the current humidity level in the area.
There are 2 speeds for the fan on this machine, which is pretty standard for the available machines. The humidistat for this machine lets you set the level at around 30%, and you can increase it to around 90% based on your needs. The hose on this machine is around 3 feet, meaning you will have to position it near the drain, sink, or another area where you will use the pump for draining.
Things to Look For in a Dehumidifier Before Purchasing
When you are researching the dehumidifier that you are going to purchase, there are a few things that you would need to look at. These include:
- Tank size – You need to consider the tank size and how much the machine would remove daily in terms of moisture. This might not be as important if you are going with the pump-based ones, but this is critical to look at.
- Price – Another factor to consider is the price, and you want to find one within your budget. These machines come in a wide variety of prices, which means there will be one that would fit your needs.
- Noise level – You should also consider the machine’s noise level, especially if you keep it in the main room. It is vital to determine how much noise it makes, so find out each model’s minimum noise level and then compare it to what you want.
- Design – The design is something else you should look at since you need to find one you like. This isn’t going to be as important if you place the machine in the basement, but if it is in your home’s main rooms, you want something that won’t crash with your décor.
- Ease of use – The ease of use is also critical, so make sure you are thinking about how easy it will be. You also want to consider how much work you will do when installing the drain pipes.
- Hose length – You might not think about this, but you want to find out how long the hose will be included with the machine. This is something to think about, especially if there isn’t a plug near the closest draining facility or if you want something longer.
- Reviews – Ensure that you check out the reviews and feedback from people who have purchased these machines are saying. You shouldn’t purchase anything without looking at this since you can see their thoughts about the build, the ease of use, and much more.
- Warranty – The warranty is another thing you must consider since you want your machine to be covered. Check out how long the warranty will be valid, what it would cover, and if others have easily managed to get their machines fixed or replaced.
- Capacity – The final factor you need to check out is how big a room they can handle. If you have a small house, look for a machine that can handle that or a larger one based on the area you need to cover.
These are all vital factors you need to check out when you are purchasing a dehumidifier, and they can help you make the right choice based on all your needs, regardless of what they might be.
These machines are great, and some are more expensive than others, but they all have some top reviews. Make sure you compare them to find the one that would fit your needs and handle the home or apartment you live in. These are just some of the ones we tested, and numerous other options are available, but these are the ones that we liked and would recommend to anyone looking for a dehumidifier.