The first thing that you need to know when it comes to HVAC is what it stands for, and this is an acronym for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. This system would provide both heat and cool air to various buildings, and it can be used in your office or even your home. This will help your entire home be comfortable, and you will be able to adjust the temperature at any time, and you don’t have to worry about what season it is.
This can be a great career option, which means that you need to know how the systems work and the benefits you are going to get along with your customers. Here is everything that you want to know about HVAC, including the types of available systems and why you should become certified in this industry.
What is HVAC?
HVAC is the system that would handle both the heating and cooling of the area where it is installed. This allows you to have a single system that you would have to deal with when deciding what temperature you want in the area, including warm or cooled air. There are different types of systems that you would pick and choose from based on your needs, so make sure to know what they are.
How Do HVAC Systems Work?
These systems work through a ventilation system, exchanging or even replacing the existing air with fresh air. This would help keep the air in the space at the exact desired temperature, and it will also get rid of bacteria, dust, carbon dioxide, and much more that would be in the air. You would have to install the system, and it would be hooked up to your ventilation system, and the air would be filtered through the machine and the filters.
There are numerous ducts that the system is connected to so that the air can be pushed easily from room to room. This is the best way to ensure that you are getting fresh air throughout your home, so make sure you are picking the right system for your needs. This is the best way to keep your home heated and cooled without dealing with numerous systems and installations.
Types of HVAC Systems
Another thing to know about HVAC systems is the different types of systems that you can choose from. The more you know about this, the easier the decision will be for you when it comes to which one to use. A few of the most common ones include:
- Heating and cooling split systems – If you are searching for one of the top affordable systems you can purchase, this is the right one. These are great for small office buildings since they can cool and heat individual rooms, making them ideal for small offices, cafes, server rooms, and shops. These can also serve multiple rooms or more significant areas when combined, and these are going to be affordable.
Also, these systems will be self-contained, which means that if one is broken, it won’t affect any others. These are also easy to expand, and you can add them as your business grows rather than add them all at once.
- Hybrid split system – Another great option to react to the temperature changes and automatic adjustments are this. This will be the most energy-saving and efficient method that you can use to cool or even heat your home. This will be a fuel-saving option rather than the traditional systems for heating and cooling since this requires a heat pump and furnace.
- Duct-free (mini-split) – If you don’t want a large unit, this miniature model will be great since it has one indoor and one outdoor unit. These are connected using electrical wiring and refrigerant tubing while being wall-mounted. This then delivers the cooled or heated air into the room without any ducts being needed.
- Packaged heating and air – If you want an all-in-one system, this might be the right option. This is also going to be great for those spaces where coils and furnaces might not fit and have an air handler. These units have everything in one unit that sits outside, which can be to the building’s side or even on the roof.
Ensure that you are looking at all of these options and then consider which one will fit your needs the best. It would help if you thought about the size, how they operate and what parts are required before making any final choice.
Main Components of any HVAC System
No matter what type of system you are using in your home, the main components will be the same. You should ensure that you know what they are and some of the various parts of the system that you need to know about, including:
- Filters – When the air is pulled into the ventilation system, it will first go through the various filters to ensure that all of the debris is being pulled out, so you are getting fresh air.
- Exhaust outlets – This is where all of the exhaust created by the system would be ejected, so it doesn’t go into your home or any other areas.
- Ducts – These are the pathways that the heated or even the cooled air will pass through, which means this would be throughout your entire home.
- Outdoor unit – This part would collect the air from the outdoors before it is pushed through the filters and the coils to heat the air or cool it down.
- Compressor – This is where the refrigerant will be converted into a liquid from the gas before it is sent to the coils to help cool down the air.
- Coils – These are in the outdoor unit, and they will be the part responsible for cooling the air as it passes through and into the home and ventilation system.
- Blower – This part is where the warm air is drawn from the main section, and this should be efficient so that your system will last longer.
These are just some parts, and you need to consider them carefully and know what is what. The more you know about these parts, the easier it will be for you to take care of them and make sure they are functioning properly.
What is HVAC Technician Certification?
If you are hoping for a new career or looking for something that would be challenging, getting your certification as an HVAC technician might be the thing. If you have this certification, then you would be able to repair, maintain and install these systems in any home. These are some of the highest sought after positions since there are so many people who are starting to have these systems installed worldwide.
Advantages of Achieving Professional Certification
There are plenty of benefits and advantages that you need to know about when it comes to getting your HVAC certification. The more you know about these benefits, the faster you would start the necessary program and get a better paying job. Some of the top advantages to the customer that you need to know about includes:
- Higher quality work, which means the installation and other work will be done quickly and efficiently
- Expert or team would have more credibility than others who are doing the same job.
- Assurance that the job would be completed the first time properly around rather than having it done a few times
- Assurance that you are going to be getting service from the top experts
These are the benefits that your customers would see, but you are also going to want to know about the services that you personally would get. Some of the top advantages that you would see yourself includes:
- Higher skills that you can learn over time and on the job
- Plenty of hands-on experience that would help you to understand the entire system
- More options for career paths that you would be able to choose
- Increase in how much you are making
- Ability to open your own business if you want
These are only some of the top benefits you need to know about, so make sure you understand them. Ensure that you are aware of them and that you are also using them to help you make the final choice.
Selecting Quality HVAC Books
If you are going to start preparing for your certification, there will be a few books that you would be able to use. You should ensure that you know the tips that would help you with finding the right one, including:
- Topics covered – Make sure that you are picking a book that would have the suitable topics covered and that you would be able to understand. This is important since you want to know what is what and prepare yourself for the exam.
- Edition – You should also pick the right edition, and you want to get the latest edition. Don’t go for the older editions since you don’t know if the information within them would be updated and you need the most recent data. You don’t always need to buy the latest book since the older ones would have the same information, so make sure to check this out.
- Reviews – Also, ensure that you are checking out what others have said about the book you are thinking about buying. The better they said it is, the more likely you will want to buy it, so ensure you are asking others or checking them out. If you have friends who have already done this, ask them what books they recommend to buy them.
- Authors – Another thing to consider is the authors and their knowledge, authority, and experience in the industry. This is vital since you want to ensure that you are picking the book written by those who know what they are doing and not just writing.
- Illustrations – Also, think about whether or not the book will have enough, which should also include clear graphics. This would help identify the parts of the system that you are going to need to know about. This might not always be part of the book, so think about it and see if you can get an ebook that will have this.
- Price – You should also think about how much you will be able to afford to pay for the book, and you need to find one that fits your budget. You don’t necessarily need to buy one that is brand new, but instead, you try to find one that is the latest edition, and that can be used, which will be cheaper.
- Format – Also, you want to consider the book’s design that you are looking at since there are some that you can buy as an ebook that is easier to carry around. However, you can also find those books that are only available in either paperback or even hardcover.
- Language – The final factor to consider is the language since you need to understand it, so think about whether or not there is one in your mother tongue. The more you can understand it and what is being said, the easier it will be to pass the exam. You don’t need to purchase something in English if you can’t understand it, so find one you can.
These are just some of the main factors you must consider when looking at books for your HVAC certification. Use these tips to help you pick a book that can help you study and be prepared since you only want to be using the best book to review.
5 Best HVAC Books Reviewed
When you are looking at books, you need to know some of the top books, which means knowing the reviews. Here are 5 of the top books to make sure that you are considering, such as:
1. Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technology 8th Edition
This one can be purchased in hardcover and ebook depending on your needs, and this is the 8th edition. It is 1728 pages, and it was published on January 1, 2016. And it is a great book for diagnosing and troubleshooting problems. This would cover many of the most common and even the uncommon methods that you can use for troubleshooting problems.
If you already know about the systems, this would be great, and if you are just starting, you can also use it. However, if you are just starting, you might not understand everything in the book, and you might need to read up a bit more if you need to.
2. Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Repair 2nd Edition
This 2nd edition book comes in paperback, hardcover, and ebook formats, which will be ideal for beginners or entry-level. This book is a guide to helping you with all of the repairs you might need, and the materials in this book might be dated, but it helps. This is written so that even a student in the HVAC certification can understand it while also having details for the seasoned pros.
3. Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
If you are searching for a training book, then this paperback or hardcover book will be great. This was published on January 29, 2016, and it is ideal for any HVAC student or even one who has recently graduated and gotten certified. This will help you with a more hands-on method for the system, and you can easily understand everything written in this book.
This might not be great for those who are experienced since the information won’t be anything new. However, if you want to have something handy to use in case of emergencies, then this would be the perfect one to have on hand. If you need something to have on hand for all of your technicians, then this might be the one to go for.
4. Commercial Refrigeration: For Air Conditioning Technicians 2nd Edition
If you are well-experienced or a field tech, then this 2nd edition book will be great. This would help you with refreshing everything you are doing, and it can even help you break any bad habits you might have. If you are hoping to learn some shortcuts or ways to make the job faster and easier, then this is the book you want to have. You might want to buy the hardcover book to keep at home when studying and an ebook version for the field.
5. Guide to NATE/ICE Certification Exams (3rd edition) 3rd Edition
This book was published on January 7, 2009, so it might seem outdated, but this will help you get ready for the HVAC certification exams. This is considered one of the top books in helping you prepare since it will cover all of the test materials and why and how. This will be the entire class that you need without having to deal with any boring lectures. Ensure that if you are preparing for the exam, this book is one that you have purchased and are reading.
How do I start preparing for the HVAC certification?
The first step to getting yourself ready for the HVAC certification is to determine that this is the job you want. Once you have decided this, you should talk to the experts and see how they started and what they can help you with. They might mentor you or let you know where you can find the required classes to get started. You can also enroll in courses at local colleges or trade schools if you are interested.
How long will it take me to become a certified HVAC technician?
It really depends on how you are going about the certification since there are some options like technical colleges, community colleges, or even trade schools. However, the most often time needed is around 6 months up to 2 years depending on what you choose. Ask about the course duration before you sign up, so you know what you are getting into.
What is the starting salary for an HVAC technician?
If you are looking at and considering the salary you might make, it depends on your working location. However, most technicians who are just starting would make around $40,000 per year, depending on experience. The salary would go up after that, but make sure you are keeping up with your certifications.
Why is a book necessary to prepare for my certification?
Even if you are going to classes, you will need to study, which means that you need to have a book. This would allow you to go over the information you learn in class, and you would be able to study whenever you have free time. If you don’t want to carry a heavy book around, consider getting one in ebook format to pull it up on your phone or tablet easily.
You must be considering if HVAC would be the right industry for you, and there is a lot to consider. You should think about if you want to make more money and if you are hoping to be able to go further in the sector. You also need to ensure that you choose the right book to help you prepare and even to diagnose issues while working in the field.