Nobody can deny the presence of dissolved pollutants in city tap water. The situation is even worse when the water comes straight from ponds, rivers, or even wells. Bathing, washing dishes, and even laundry become extremely difficult and harmful when you use such water. To begin with, the water is difficult to lather since it is hard. You may need to use a lot of soap to get a good lather for washing. On the other hand, hard water stains clothes and dishes and is bad for your hair and skin. Moreover, there are some heavy metals present in hard water obtained straight from wells. Thus, cooking and Drinking with such water is dangerous not just to human health but also to the environment.
That is where an inline water filter comes it. By using that, you will be at peace to know that you and your family have pure water for use. Not everybody can afford a whole-house filtration system. If you are one of them, rest assured that this does not rule out the possibility of having clean water. Purchasing an inline water filter is a cost-effective approach to clean water. Filter technology has advanced dramatically over the last decade, and we, as buyers, are experiencing the rewards.
With a filter life of only 4-6 months on average, this tiny investment pays for itself thousands of times over. Drinking water that has been cleaned and purified by the inline water filter will ensure that every sip you drink is free of impurities. Our guide for the best inline filters will help you select that ideal inline water filter for you and your family. Not just that, our inline filter buying guide will answer all the questions you have regarding an inline water filter.
1. Best Overall: Frizzlife Inline Water Filter
If you are looking for an inline water filter with the best features, Frizzlife inline water filter is your best option.
- The Frizzlife inline water filter offers two installation methods. This means that you can either connect this water filter to the refrigerator value or the under-sink stop valve. You can install this inline water filter easily at home.
- The under-sink water filtration system removes foul odors and unpleasant tastes from water and improves the flavor of water from the refrigerator dispenser. In addition, the MS99 filter system present in the Frizzlife Inline water filter provides crystal clear ice cubes by successfully removing contaminants from water.
- This inline water system is certified by IAPMO, which ensures its premium performance.
- The Frizzlife inline water filter comes with a compound filter cartridge, which can remove more than 99.99% of pollutants from your water, leaving pure and clean water for you to drink. It removes carcinogens, lead, volatile organic compounds, heavy metals, rust, chlorine, mercury, and chromium 6. In addition, the compound filter ensures that essential minerals are not removed from your water.
- The Frizzlife inline water filter has auto shut-off features that relieve you from the stress of shutting the water supply off during the time for filter replacement. In addition, its twist-in design makes it extremely convenient and easy to replace the filter.
- It can last up to two years.
- The Frizzlife inline water filter is straightforward to install.
- It is certified by IAPMO.
- It removes 99.99% of pollutants from the water.
- This inline water filter does not filter water at its best when it is installed horizontally.
Frizzlife inline water filter offers some amazing features at an affordable price. This water filter removes 99.99% contaminants from water, including chlorine, lead, heavy metals, etc., leaving an odor-free and good-tasting drinking water.
2. Runner-Up: Epic Smart Shield Universal Refrigerator Filter
The Epic Smart Shield Universal Refrigerator Filter is known as one of the most effective and efficient in-line water filters on the market.
- The Epic Water Filters removes microbiological pollutants and ordinary tap water impurities from the water, making your water clean and pure for drinking.
- This filter is capable of removing many small and heavy contaminants. For example, it removes up to 98% lead, 99% copper, and 96% chlorine. Moreover, it also filters impurities such as uranium, mercury, and PFOAs.
- The Epic Smart Sheild universal refrigerator filter has been tested and certified by IAPMO to various NSF Standards, including NSF 42 and 53 for the removal of lead and chlorine. This inline water filter can provide up to 75 gallons of clean water before needing to be replaced.
- It filters the water in two stages. The first stage comes with a proprietary hollow fiber membrane filter that removes cysts, bacteria, and viruses. These pollutants are usually present in small microscopic pores. At the same time, the second stage contains a patented activated carbon block filter which uses depth filtration and absorption to filter metals and chemicals.
- The Epic Smart Shield Universal Refrigerator Filter has a cheap upfront cost.
- It removes 98% of lead from the water.
- It is more efficient as compared to other filters.
- The filter lifespan of this inline water filter is less.
Epic Smart Shield Universal Refrigerator Filter is among the most efficient water filters with a two-stage filtration system. It removes up to 98% of lead, 99% copper, and 96% chlorine. Moreover, it also filters impurities such as uranium, mercury, and PFOAs.
3. Crystal Quest Voyager Triple Inline Water Filter System
The Crystal Quest Voyager Triple Inline Water Filter is one of the best filters to remove impurities from tap water and offers great-tasting water.
- This inline water system comes with an eight-stage filtration process. It provides reverse osmosis quality water and protection from industrial and agricultural waste, rare in an inline water filter system.
- The Crystal Quest Voyager Triple Inline Water Filter system comes with a 3-stage cartridge system. One cartridge is a carbon block cartridge; another is for ultrafiltration, while the next is used for a standard six-stage filtration process.
- The ultrafiltration membrane of this inline water filter system can remove pesticides, herbicides, colloids, viruses, pyrogens, bacteria, parasites protozoa, hardness in salts and water, proteins, and many other pollutants present in water. It removes all the organic molecules that are larger than 0.1-micron size. If water is biologically hazardous or contains bacteria and other biological pollutants, this Ultrafiltration technique is most efficient.
- The Carbon Block is responsible for eliminating bad smell and taste, chlorine, other organic chemicals responsible for the water taste and smell bad. The carbon block has a holding and particulate filtration capacity comparable to a 5m nominal sediment filter. Moreover, it also removes industrial solvents, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), pesticides, and insecticides.
- When used in conjunction with the 6-stage cartridge, you’ll have an 8-stage filtering system that successfully removes hundreds of pollutants from the water as well as contaminants from tap water, resulting in superb flavor and purity.
- This filter combines the adsorption characteristics of coconut shell-activated carbon along with Eagle Redox Alloy and other cutting-edge technologies to provide pure drinking water.
- The Crystal Quest Voyager Triple Inline Water Filter system is simple and easy to install.
- It is convenient.
- It has a six-stage filtration system and removes many harmful contaminants from water.
- Due to its superb features, this inline filter is a bit expensive compared to many other inline filters.
The Crystal Quest Voyager Triple Inline Water Filter system removes contaminants from tap water, resulting in superior flavor and purity. It’s simple to set up and use, as well as stylish and practical. In addition, it successfully removes a variety of impurities from water.
4. NU Aqua Undersink 3/8″ Quick Change 1 Stage Filtration System
Whether you want safer water to cook and drink or you’re sick of your dishes and hands being filmy after they’ve been washed, this is the best filter for your home. The NU Aqua Undersink 3/8″ Quick Change 1 Stage Filtration System is exactly what your home needs if you want superior filtering than pitcher filters and at the same time don’t want to put whole reverse osmosis under the sink filter.
- This water filter removes 99.9% of dangerous toxins, including perfluorinated compounds (PFC’S), lead, trihalomethanes, chlorine, glyphosate, 6 volatile organic compounds, mercury, and chromium, without removing critical minerals your body need.
- This filter is not only good at removing impurities, but it’s also simple to set up, maintain, and clean. Installing this filter is very simple. All you have to do is cut off your sink’s water supply, connect your waterline with this filter, turn the water on, and you are done.
- This pure, healthful drinking water can be dispensed directly from your existing faucet and does not require an additional one.
- This inline water filter can filter up to 5000 gallons of water. This means that it will last from 8 to 12 months.
- It removes all the contaminants that contribute to bad taste, odor, and turbidity.
- It removes 99% of harmful contaminants.
- It is easy to maintain.
- This inline water filter is simple to set up.
- It is slightly expensive.
If you want safer water for cooking and drinking, then the NU Aqua Undersink 3/8″ Quick Change 1 Stage Filtration System is exactly what your home needs. This water filter removes 99.9% of dangerous toxins, including perfluorinated compounds (PFC’S), lead, trihalomethanes, chlorine, glyphosate, 6 volatile organic compounds, mercury, and chromium, without removing critical minerals your body need.
5. Home Master Inline Artesian Filter
High filtration capacity 2,500 gallons or 1-year life. This Inline Artesian filter will significantly improve your water – it will taste a lot better. Available 2 options – standard and pH+ filter. pH+ is perfect for acidic well water supplies and has more mineral content.
- Certified to NSF
- Eliminates up to 95% of chlorine, chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, and others contaminants
- High Capacity
- May not fit to all systems
6. Crystal Quest SMART Inline Filter Cartridge
- The crystal quest smart inline filter cartridge is a reverse osmosis water filter system capable of removing small impurities from the water.
- It removes all the foul odor and taste, leaving pure and clean drinking water.
- This inline water filter system is easy to install. You can install it at home without any outside help. Even the filter replacement of the crystal quest smart inline filter cartridge is simple and requires little work.
- It works with any refrigerator, ice maker, and water cooler.
- It removes impurities from water.
- It eliminates bad smells and tastes.
- This inline filter is not certified.
7. EcoPure EPINL30 5 Year
The EcoPure EPINL30 inline water filter system is one of the best for refrigerators and ice makers.
- The EcoPure EPINL30 inline water filter system is compatible with several refrigerator brands including, GE, Samsung, Frigidaire, LG, and whirlpool.
- As the name suggests, this inline water system can last up to 5 years, which is quite extraordinary compared to many other inline water filters.
- The EcoPure has a ¼ inch compression with easy installation, quick connect fitting, and several water lines.
- This inline water filter is environmentally friendly as it is made from BPA-free material. This means that you don’t have to be worried about adding anything harmful to the environment.
- It is capable of removing harmful contaminants from the water, such as chlorine. It removes the bad taste and smells from the water leaving pure, clean drinking water. For chlorine removal, this inline water filter is certified and tested to NSF standard 42.
- It is made from BPA-free material.
- It is certified by NSF.
- It lasts for five years.
- There are some contaminants that this filter does not remove.
The eco pure inline water filter can remove several chemicals like chlorine and its taste and smell. This filter can last for five years, which is not found among many inline water filters. It is quick to install this filter as well as replace it. The best part of the eco pure inline water filter is that it is made from BPA-free material.
8. Culligan IC 1 Inline Filter
The Culligan IC-1 is a standard refrigerator and ice maker inline filter.
- The Culligan 1C-1 is capable of filtering 3000 gallons of water before it needs to be replaced. This means that it can last up to 1 year, depending on the amount of water you consume and its quality.
- IAPMO has tested and certified the filter to NSF Standard 42 for chlorine smell and taste reduction.
- The Culligan IC-1 is simple to install since it features twist-on/twist-off quick connect fittings which don’t require any special skills. A filter head with mounting hardware is included with the filter, so you do not need to purchase any more items for installation. It also has a handy double water shutoff which makes its maintenance and installation simple and safe.
- This inline water filter comes with a cartridge change reminder sticker. This reminder stick will let you know when it’s time to replace the filter, so you don’t have to worry about remembering a time of replacement.
- It is NSF certified.
- It can last for up to 1 year.
- The Culligan 1C-1 inline filter takes a lot of space.
- You cannot install this filter horizontally.
The Culligan 1C-1inline water filter can filter up to 3000 gallons of water and last for approximately a year. This inline water filter comes with a cartridge change reminder stick which alerts you when it’s time to replace the filter. Moreover, this inline water filter is tested and certified by NSF.
9. GE GXRTDR Inline Filter
Are you concerned that a water filter linked to your fridge or ice maker would shorten the life of these appliances? Well, we’ve got something that will extend the life of any equipment you connect to it. Yes, we’re referring to the GE GXRTDR inline filter, which has received much positive feedback from customers.
- This inline water filter is certified by NSF. It is capable of removing contaminants such as chlorine from water. Moreover, it eliminates any bad smell or taste and improves the taste of your drinking water.
- The filter has an average lifespan of 6 months. There are certainly inline water filters with longer lifespans, but the filter remains an excellent value for money given its modest price.
- The GXRTDR filter is easy to set up and doesn’t usually necessitate the use of adaptors. In addition, this filter includes push-connect fittings so you can attach it to your water line immediately.
- It is easy to install.
- It is certified by NSF.
- Its filter life is very less.
10. Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Filter
It is the most efficient inline filter in removing impurities, unlike many others that solely address water appearance by removing chlorine.
- The Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Filter fits any 14-inch waterline, making it suitable with any water-based appliance that accepts this hose size, such as a kitchen sink, ice maker, and refrigerator.
- This filter only needs an easy 5 minutes installation. All you need to do is connect the input and outlet water lines, and it’s done.
- The Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Filter removes 230 different pollutants, such as glyphosate, lead, chloramine, PFAS, chlorine, fluoride, and many more.
- This inline water filter has three stages of filtration. During its first stage, it removes pollutants such as chloramine, choline, and chemicals like pesticides and herbicides with the help of activated carbon. At the same time, the second stage is responsible for removing microplastics, pharmaceuticals, metals, and many more inorganic impurities. Finally, the third stage removes arsenic and fluoride.
- The clearly filter inline water filter can filter up to 365 gallons of water, which can last around 12 months. Furthermore, this inline water filter comes with a lifetime guarantee that ensures you replace the filter free of charge if you find any problem with it.
- This inline water filter has been tested by a lab that is certified by EPA. In addition, it meets the NSF Standards, 401, 42, and 53. This means that it removes the contaminants from water efficiently and improves the water quality.
- Its installation is easy and simple.
- The Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Filter removes 23o contaminants from the water.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It has a three-stage filtration process.
- The Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Filter is not actually certified by NSF itself.
- It has a shorter filter life.
Inline Water Filter Buying Guide
What is an Inline Water Filter?
An inline water filter is typically installed underneath your kitchen sink, where it is connected to the cold water supply. It ensures that not a single drop of cold water enters the system before being filtered. A replaceable filter cartridge is located inside the main body of the inline water filter responsible for all filtration. These water filters are clean and don’t occupy much space.
How Do Inline Water Filter Work?
Water pressure in your inline water filter plumbing is used to push water through one or more filters. The pollutants are trapped in the filter along the way. After that, when you turn on your cold water faucet, the water will pass through the filter before reaching your faucet or fridge. This process normally takes up to a few seconds.
When Would I Need an Inline Filter?
If you are looking for an easy and convenient way of filtering your water, then the inline water filter is an ideal option for you. An inline water filter removes contaminants from water such as chlorine and lead that are harmful to your health. The best part of these filters is that it’s straightforward to install and maintain these filters.
Types of Inline Filters
There are certain types of inline water filters; some of the common types are:
- Activated carbon filters
These filters are quite common in several filters. It removes the taste and smell of chlorine from water with the help of the adsorption process.
- Charcoal filters
These filters also use an adsorption process to remove contaminants from water. Like activated carbon filters, charcoal filters trap the impurities into the filter media, stopping them from going into the water.
- Carbon block
An activated carbon filter is one of the most efficient filters in an inline water filter. Although these filters work the same way as others, yet they are more effective. These filters contain a finely granulated compressed activated carbon that prevents the media from making flow channels within, providing better filtration.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Inline Filters
- Cost-effective option
Inline filters are one of the most cost-effective solutions when compared to other types of water filtering systems. Therefore, inline water filters are a wonderful alternative if you’re seeking a cheap long-term water filtering solution for your tap water, ice machine, or refrigerator.
- Simple and Installation
The inline water filters contain quick-connect fittings that enable you to twist the filter into position at your water source, making installation as straightforward as possible. So even if you find it difficult to do DIY projects, you still won’t need a plumber to complete the installation.
- Low maintenance
Compared to other filtration systems, the inline water filters do not need weekly cleaning and changing different filters. In addition, most of these filters have a life of approximately 6 months, that is why you don’t have to worry about replacing them.
- It doesn’t remove all the contaminants.
Most of the inline water filters don’t remove heavy contaminants from water.
- Not a complete home solution
These filters are not designed for a complete home. However, you can use them in places like refrigerators, kitchen sinks s, or ice makers.
Considerations When Buying an Inline Water Filter
Before buying an inline water filter, there are some things you must take care of:
- Flow rate
Since these filters are connected to your main water supply, the flow rate is a critical consideration. Fortunately, an inline water filter system’s flow rate isn’t normally limited until the filter reaches the end of its useful life, when it may become too clogged with impurities to filter water quickly.
Inline filters typically range from 3000 gallons approximately half a year to 20,000 gallons about a year. A lower capacity inline water filter does not suggest that the filter is of lower quality; it simply means the filter will be less expensive upfront and will have to be updated more frequently.
NSF Standard 42, for the elimination of chlorine smell and taste in ice and water, is the most frequent certification for an inline drinking water filtration system. In addition, an inline water filtering system may be NSF 53 certified to remove heavy metals, such as lead, on rare occasions. Buying a certified inline filter system will give you peace of mind knowing you’re getting one of the best filters available to reduce a specific pollutant or group of pollutants.
Do inline water filters work?
The best in-line filters for water often perform an excellent job of filtering the taste and smell of chlorine. Most of these filters are tested and certified by NSF for chlorine removal. It makes them a perfect choice if you know your water contains a lot of chlorine.
How long does an inline water filter last?
Inline water filters are efficient and do not need much maintenance. These water filters can last from 4 to 12 months. It depends upon the amount of water you filter and how much the filter has been used.
How do I know when to replace my water filter?
It’s about time to replace your inline water filter. When your water pressure lowers, water starts producing a bad smell, or it tastes bad.