If you don’t want to deal with replacing or buying filters every 6 months or a year, you should consider getting some washable filters.
Plenty of models use washable filters when buying air purifiers, and you should know what they are.
Keep reading our comprehensive guide to discovering everything you need to know, from the best models to what you should look for.
Table of Contents
Top 5 Air Purifiers With Washable Filters
There are so many models that you can pick from that would have washable filters, and you should be aware of what they are, including:
Best Overall: Honeywell QuietClean Tower HFD-120Q Air Purifier
If you don’t mind having a design that isn’t the best, then this 2 stage cleaning system model will be great. It works best for medium-sized rooms up to 186 square feet with an ionizer built-in, so airborne particles are ground. The touch-button LED control panel has 3 different speed options for purifying.
There is an indicator that will let you know when the filter needs to be cleaned, which just needs to be washed down and then placed back in after drying.
If you are searching for the best from one of the top brands out there, then this model definitely deserves a place on the top of your list.
Runner Up: Honeywell AirGenius 6 Air Purifier
This is one of the top models from this brand, and this has a huge myriad of features, including 2 pre-filters and a washable foam pre-filter. Another pre-filter is there to reduce odor, and they will help catch all of the bigger particles before they even reach the main filter. It has 6 air cleaning levels and a sleep mode so that it will be a quiet operation.
The controls are smart touch, and they are simple to control, and the design is sleek, which makes it ideal for larger rooms.
If you want to get one of the best models from a top and trusted brand, then you should definitely check this one out.
Best Budget Option: Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier
If you want something that won’t break the bank and that would be great for animals in your home, then this might be something to check out. This is also very lightweight at only 6 pounds, and it can be used either horizontally or vertically, depending on the space available. This model has a pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and a permanent HEPA filter and should be vacuumed and not washed.
If you have a small room of around 140 square feet, this model will suit your needs while being efficient and lightweight.
For those who want a compact, yet versatile design, then you might want to go ahead and check this model out to see if it fits your needs.
Plasma Wave 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier with AOC Washable Carbon Filter
For those who have a bigger room up around 360 square feet, then this model might suit your needs, especially if you want an activated carbon filter that you can wash. This also has a 4 stage system for cleaning the air of any household smells, VOCs, mold spores, smoke, pet dander, dust, and pollen.
This is a sleek and modern design, and you can operate this machine with the remote control and turn the PlasmaWave feature on and off.
If money isn’t something you are worried about, then this model should be looked at, especially if you want to have an activated carbon filter that you don’t have to replace.
Blueair Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier for home 3 Stage with Washable Pre-Filter
If you are dealing with small or even medium-sized rooms, this is the perfect model you can check out. There is a 3 part system for filtration to catch all airborne pollutants, and it even has the much loved activated carbon filter. You will also customize this model by choosing from the available colorful pre-filters when you buy.
It has some advanced filters to keep the noise level low for the higher airflow, and it has an EnergyStar rating.
If you want something efficient and that you can easily customize, then go ahead and check out this great option.
Air Purifiers With Washable Filters Buying Guide
You always want to make sure that you consider everything regarding the type of filters that your air purifier has, including the washable ones. Ensure that you are thinking about whether this type of filter would work for you and the benefits and differences, so keep reading on to find out more.
Is a Washable Filter the Same as a Permanent Filter?
There is plenty to know about whether or not the washable filters are similar to the permanent ones. Here is what you need to know, such as:
- Washable filters – These options are reusable, and you need to either wash them down or vacuum until you get all of the pollutants and dirt off. If you are washing them, use some soap and water to get rid of the dirt, and these are convenient since you don’t have to buy new ones every year.
- Permanent filters – These filters shouldn’t be washed down with water, but you can vacuum them instead. This helps to get rid of the dirt on the filter’s surface, and the process can be faster and more efficient than washing them with water.
Ensure that you know the differences to decide what options you would want to consider and which one is the best for your needs.
Pros and Cons of Permanent and Washable Filters?
There are plenty of pros and cons that would come with both the permanent and the washable filters, and you need to know what they are. Some of these includes:
- Changing the filters – You would want to consider how often the filters would need to be changed out or washed. You also need to think about the process of doing it, especially when it comes to washing them, which takes more time. However, if you are using the permanent ones, the process is faster since you don’t have to wait for it to dry.
- Cost – Another thing that one must consider is the cost, and that would help with the decision since the permanent ones would need to be replaced if they can’t be cleaned. However, the washable ones would always be washed down of all dirt and debris to get rid of everything and used again.
- Environment – You also need to consider the impact on the environment when choosing the right filter. The permanent ones will be worse for the environment since you have to replace them often, and the washable ones don’t need to be replaced at all.
- Availability – You should also look at the filters’ availability before you decide on what to buy. Some of the filters can be hard to come to buy, or you need to purchase them from a specific location, so make sure to check this out.
Ensure that you are thinking about all of this before deciding which option you prefer and which one you want to use.
Air Purifier with Washable Filter Buying Consideration Tips
There are also some consideration tips that you need to check out before buying an air purifier, especially if you are looking at the filter. Some of these includes:
- Cleaning capacity – You need to think about the cleaning capacity and how big and small particles they can trap. It would help if you also considered what types of particles they can trap, like mold, dust mites, smoke, and pollen. Make sure that any machine you are getting can remove anything less than 0.3 microns from the air.
- Coverage – Another thing to look at is the coverage capacity since you want to know just how much of an area the machine can cover. This will be told directly, so ensure that you are getting the right machine to deal with your room size.
- Size – Also, you must look at the machine’s size since they can come in a wide variety of sizes. Consider how much space you have available and where you want to place it when looking at the machines so you can pick the best size.
- CADR level – You also need to know the clean air delivery rate, which lets you know just how much filtered air the machine can generate. The higher the level you get, the better and more efficient the machine will be, so make sure to check out the levels for smoke, dander, and pollen.
- Extras – There are also other features that you should consider, including different speeds and much more. Think about whether you can operate it with a remote or an internal timer to shut it off.
The more you think about this, the easier it will be for you to decide what features you need to have and which ones you would do without.
Can I wash any filter that is in my air purifier?
No, since every brand provides different filters that would be in the machine. Ensure that you are only washing the filters that are labeled as washable to prevent any damage to the expensive ones. If you want one that would be washable, make sure it is a feature for the machine you have on your list.
Should the air purifier be left on all day long?
Some people believe that these machines should only be used for specific hours every day. However, these can be highly efficient, and they perform better when they are left on all day long. You don’t have to worry about the electricity usage since they use only a small amount, but you can turn it off.
Can the machines be overly loud for bedroom usage?
Some models might be too loud, which would be dependent on the fan you are using. Ensure that you check out the sound level before deciding and seeing if they have a sleep mode for a hushed operation.
Why should I consider using washable filters?
The washable filters would make the entire maintenance of the machines much easier and affordable. You don’t have to worry about ordering and having the new filter in your home when the indicator light goes off or even buying one when you can wash the one inside the machine.
You must be looking at all of the top washable filter-based air purifiers if you want something that will be easy to use. Think about the features you want, including the size, method of operation, and much more, when you are trying to choose. It can be made easier if you check out the models that we have listed, so make sure to find the best one.