Most of us today drink distilled water. It is a popular choice for many, but hardly people know the difference between purified and distilled water. Let’s us know how different these two types of water are and which one is the winner.
What is Purified Water?
The water that has been removed from the impurities from the water is called purified water. The purified water is made using both groundwater and tap water that means that it is available for all homeowners. There are plenty of contaminants and impurities that are removed from water during the process of purification that includes:
- Numerous pollutants of chemicals
- Various parasites
- Certain metals like copper and lead
Different methods are used to purify the water. Some of the common methods are:
Though these four processes of purifying water are different from one another these, provide you with the same results. To classify water as purified water, the must contaminate is less than 10PPW. Around ninety-nine percent of all the water contaminates should be removed from the water only then it is purified water.
What is Distilled Water?
The water that is directly taken through distillation is called distilled water. It is somewhat the same as purified water. The distillation process is used to purify the water and get rid of all the impurities and contaminants. Distillation works by boiling the water at a high temperature and then collecting the steam. This results in water once the steam reaches the cooling point. Using these purification methods, one can effectively eliminate contaminates like Giardia which is a kind of Protozoaz, different chemicals like lead and sulfate, and bacteria and viruses.
As distilled water is very pure, it is generally used in medical facilities and laboratories. People also choose to drink distilled water as it is entirely free from contaminants and impurities.
What’s the Difference Between Purified vs. Distilled Water?
If we compare these two visually, they would seem more or less similar. The purified water had contaminants and chemicals removed, but it also contained some minerals. In the case of distilled water, it takes one step further as both the minerals and contaminants are removed together. This is the main difference between purified and distilled water.
Health Benefits of Purified Water
The healthiest type of water that people should consume is purified water. This is the reason why it has various health benefits. However, even though standard tap water is generally safe for drinking purposes, there are still contaminants in tap water. This is why experts suggest that we opt for purified water that is pure and clean, and free from contaminates.
Benefits Of Purified Water
- As the water is purified using different methods, it removes chlorine from the water, which is the standard chemical linked to the element that causes different types of cancer.
- Purified water does not contain any harmful bacteria that can lead to stomach aches, nausea, and different illnesses.
- It provides your skin with a barrier that keeps the impurities out and protects you.
- You will have a better digestive tract and colon.
Health Benefits of Distilled Water
Having distilled water is highly advantageous to your health. Some of the health benefits that you will receive are:
- The most effective way to get rid of water contaminants is the process of water distillation.
- Distilled water is free from contaminants like pesticides and bacteria, which is advantageous for individuals who have a weak immune system.
- We may be in a location that does not have any regulations related to tap water that means that having distilled water will be a healthy option.
- Some people who suffer from different cancer types and HIV are more prone to diseases caused by impurities in food and water, which means that distilled water will be a good option compared to other types.
- Distilled water does not have any chlorine in the water that enhances the water taste.
Cons of Purified Water
There are some problems related to purified water. Therefore, one must know the issues related to purified water before one drinks it. Following are some of the drawbacks of purified water.
- Fluoride is a helpful mineral that some of the purification systems remove. Fluoride helps to reduce tooth decay and also improves your overall dental health.
- The water purification system must be maintained to ensure that the contaminates do not increase inside the older filters.
- It is possible that the purification system will not get rid of contaminates that include pesticides and chemicals.
- If you choose to buy plastic bottles of purified water, it will cause a significant amount of waste that is harmful to the environment.
Cons of Distilled Water
Though distilled water is said to be the purest and cleanest compared to other types of water, it does not mean that it is the healthiest option for you to choose. Some of the issues that are related to distilled water are:
- The distillation process removes the contaminants from water, but it also gets rid of natural minerals and electrolytes necessary for us humans.
- The minerals like calcium and magnesium are removed from the water that is distilled.
- Distilled water also gets rid of fluoride that is essential for us to prevent cavities.
If you maintain a balanced and healthy diet, distilled water is safe to drink. However, ensure that the electrolytes and minerals removed from the distilled water are consumed through other food items.
Which Is Best: Purified Vs. Distilled Water?
Both distilled and purified water is healthy for us. These two are more or less the same. One of the main differences that you can see between distilled and purified water is that purified water has some of the minerals that are necessary for the human body. In contrast, distilled water does not have any minerals left in it.
The process of distillation needs more power that means it is harmful to the environment to conduct the process of distillation. In the case of purified water, the reverse osmosis process needs less energy. If you are looking for the cleanest water type, distilled water is the best choice. But if you want to have clean and healthy water, you should choose to have purified water.
Can you make distilled water at home?
Yes, it is possible to make distilled water at home. There are distillation kits available online for people like us. One can also do it on their own by using a bowl, a large boiling water pot, and some ice cubes. The method that you are choosing depends on the purpose that you have. For example, if you want distilled water for cleaning or ironing, you should use the pot method. But if you wish to use distilled water for drinking or use in your aquarium, you would require a lot of water. For such needs using distillation, the kit is the right choice.
How to purify water at home?
The easiest way to purify water is to buy a water filter. It will do all for you, and you will get clean and pure water for every use.
Both distillation and purified water have merits and demerits. Choose the one that meets your preference and fits your needs.