Best Air Purifier for Allergies Buying Guide
Air Purifiers are great devices, this is because they serve a lot of useful purposes. One of such purposes is in treating Allergies. In this buying guide, you will find the best air purifiers for allergies and other useful information you need to know concerning air purifiers.
Top 5 Air Purifier for Allergies
This is a top choice air purifier for various uses and very functional one in dealing with allergies. It features 3 stages of filtration; The first is the activated carbonated filter that helps in capturing and getting rid of unfriendly odors and smoke. The second is a true HEPA filter for collecting dust and other particles in the air, the third is a fine preliminary filter that helps dissolve bacteria, mold and pet dander. This Air Purifier also features 5 buttons for easy control. You can also adjust the fan speed to either low, medium and high.
- Powerful performance – great for allergies relief
- Awesome price/performance ratio
- Slightly quiet air purifier
- Simple filter replacement
- Compact size
- No filter replacement indicator
- No auto shut-off function
The Hamilton Beach Air Purifier is a well-built air purifier and one that is ideal for treating not only Allergies but air pollutants. This Air Purifier uses a HEPA filter and comes with 2 replaceable carbon filters. It features a permanent pre-filter, which is one of the very important features an Air Purifier should have. One advantage of this Air Purifier is that it does not make too much noise, the noise level is really impressive. It can be placed in a room up to 140 square foot rooms and you can use it vertically or horizontally as it has filters on each side. This Air Purifier can also be adjusted to 3-speed level.
- Low price, good performance
- Easy to use
- Compact size
- Cheap construction feeling
- No true-HEPA filter
This Air Purifier is a very sophisticated one with a luxury look that will add style to your room whilst purifying and making your air safe. The GermGuardian Air Purifier features a HEPA filter and Charcoal filter, there is also the UV-C light technology. It is ideal for getting rid of dust, tobacco smoke, and pollen and it can function in a 167 Sq Feet Room. It is AHAM Verified so the CADR rating has been tested and confirmed.
- Awesome performance
- 3-year warranty
- Space Saver
- Easy to use
- Lacks of smart features
- A little bit annoying blue-light can distract during night time
The description says it all, this is an Air Purifier specially made for removing allergens. It is really not big in size and great if you have the idea of saving space. It works in 4 simple ways; First, it draws in the pollutants then the carbon pre-filter collects and traps all the particles, the smaller ones that go through are held by the HEPA filter that comes next then you have your clean, fresh air. The filters are replaceable and it has a filter light so you know when you need to change the filters.
- Powerful performance
- High CADR rating
- Touch control panel
- 5-Year warranty
- Easy to move around with handles
This air purifier looks simple, it features a collapsible carbon filter and 2 replaceable pretty filters. It has just one control button and when set at the highest speed level, just 60 watts is consumed. The Blueair Air Purifier has a cleaning power of 540 and a moderate Clean Air Delivery Rate. It really works in getting rid of allergens.
- Outstanding Performance
- Inexpensive filter replacement
- Can handle large spaces
- No timer
- No air sensor
Air Purifier Buying Guide
Common reasons for getting an air purifier:
Due to how functional and useful these air purifiers are, you would need them for a number of reasons and some of them include;
- In dealing with allergies;
Lots of people do suffer from different allergies, some are due to airborne chemicals coming from furniture or products in the home. To help in dealing with this, you would need to get an air purifier. A perfect air purifier would clear the air of irritants and make breathing much easier and safer.
- In dealing with Asthma;
Polluted air is a major cause of asthmatic symptoms like shortness of breath, coughing, chest tightness and wheezing. As at today, millions of people including old and young suffer from Asthma and it is a serious illness. To help treat asthma, you should get an air purifier in your room as it would help you to breathe better.
- In dealing with Pet Dander and Hair;
If you do care about your indoor pets, you would play around with them most of the time and much exposure to these pets can cause pet dander allergies. Since you cannot completely avoid being around these pets, you should get an air purifier to help you relieve the symptoms. An air purifier will also help you get rid of pet hairs anywhere they may fall.
- To get rid of Dust;
No one likes a dusty environment, as it can make one very uncomfortable and also harmful to the health. Air purifiers can help you get rid of dust in your home, an air purifier circulates the air in your room, as it pulls in air it equally pulls in all dust and tiny particles floating in the air. It helps keeps the place clean as dust and dust mites may spell out dirt.
- To get rid of Mold;
Air purifiers help to get rid of airborne mold spores, these mold spores can which irritate the lungs which can result in allergies. Just like in getting rid of dust, the air purifier draws in air and other tiny particles in the air – mold included – to help keep the air clean and pure. As the mold spores are gotten rid of, you also would no longer perceive the musty smell these mold spores create.
- To get rid of odor and smoke;
Bad odor and smoke – especially from cigarettes and cigars – and be really harmful to the health of a person. Air purifiers are great in dealing with this, they help purify the air to make it clean and pure hence getting rid of bad odor and smoke. It is a sure way to get relief if you happen to live with a smoker.
Of course there are many other reasons why people do need an air purifier, the above listed are some of the common reasons. It is always advisable that you know the reason why you need an air purifier so you know just the right one to buy.
CADR and ACH Ratings
One other very important thing you should look out for when buying an air purifier is the CADR and ACH Ratings, What are they?
CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate); The CADR rating of a particular air purifier tells you how functional it is in cleaning the air of a particular room size. You can compare two air purifier to know which is best using the CADR rating. CADR rating measures three major pollutions; Dust, Tobacco Smoke, Pollen and the ratings are being displayed in sequence i.e 210/160/200 each rating for each pollution. Just like it is with any other rating, the higher the number, the higher the effectiveness of the air purifier. The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) developed the CADR ratings and only manufacturers that pass their test will be able to display CADR ratings on their devices so not all air purifiers has it.
ACH (Air Changes Per Hour); ACH can also be abbreviated as ACPH and it simply means the measure of the volume of air removed or added in a room divided by the volume of space in the room. This rating tells you the number of times an air purifier filters all of the air in a particular room in a period of an hour. You should really look out for an Air Purifier with an impressive ACH rating. What you should know is that the higher the rate (the more air changes per hour) the more effective the air purifier will be in cleaning the air in your room. An ACH of 4 air changes per hour is normally the most recommended but you can still go for lesser or more, it depends on how you want your air purifier to work and also the size of your room.
Right Size of an Air Purifier
The Size of an Air Purifier also affects its functionality so you should look out for it as well when buying one. Air Purifiers are of different sizes and the size tells a lot about how it will perform in a particular room. The Room Square footage is what you should really be interested in. You know the size of your room so you should get an Air Purifier with a room square footage that is equal to or greater than the size of your room. Getting one with a lesser room square footage will definitely turn out to be a waste of money as it won’t serve you well.
Also, you need to watch where you place your air purifier after purchase because placing it in the wrong position will also affect its performance. You should not keep your air purifier at the back of your couch, beneath a table or any other place that will obstruct proper inflow and outflow of air. You should place it in a place where there is space, a few feet away from the wall and other furniture so it can function properly.
What features should you look out for and expect from an Air Purifying device? Well there are so many of them and they include;
- Pre-Filter; You should know what the Prefix stand for. An Air purifier that features a pre-filter is usually an advantage. It helps in capturing large particles floating in the air so they do not go directly into your air purifier and helps in maintaining the main filter. Without a Pre-filter, large particles would go directly into the main filter and it would affect its durability.
- Digital Controls; Yeah something like buttons so you control your Air purifier with ease just as you do with your Television and DVD player. This feature is common with Air Purifiers, almost all modern Air Purifiers feature digital controls.
- Adjustable fan speeds; You need an air purifier that features adjustable fan speeds so you can control and adjust the fan settings to whichever speed you want. Just like your ceiling fan, the speed settings on an Air Purifier range from low to high.
- Filter Replacement Indicators; Think of this as an alarm which alerts you so you know when to replace the filters in your Air purifier. You would need to replace your air filters when it gets really blocked with dirt and other particles which may affect the inflow and outflow of air.
- Programmable Timer; A programmable timer is a very interesting and useful feature that you would appreciate in an Air Purifier. With a programmable timer, you can set the particular time you want your air purifier to shut down, let’s say 2 or 3 hours interval and when that time reaches, it does so automatically. With this, less power is wasted and more is saved.
- Carry Handle; A carry handle is really something you should look out for too. Why is that? It makes it easier for you to carry your Air purifier. Sometimes you may need to take your air purifying device from one room to another and a carry handle makes it hassle-free.
- Casters; Almost the same function with the carry handle as they both help you transport your air purifier without stress. Casters are wheels that enable you to easily roll your air purifier from one room to another. The feature makes an Air Purifier highly portable.
- Antimicrobial Treatment; This feature helps to kill or inhibit the growth of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, and others by providing a coating that prevents these microorganisms from getting to the Air filters of your Air Purifier. This makes your device to be more durable.
- Air Quality Sensors; Air Quality sensors helps to detect and monitor the presence of air pollutants in your room. It is one very useful feature an Air Purifier should have. These sensors help the Air Purifier perform better by adjusting its cleaning level to match the pollutants in the air so cleaning is faster and more effective.
Sometimes, you have to pay a little extra amount for some of these features, but they are worth it.
It is common for an Air Purifier to make noise, most of these devices have filters that operate with a fan mechanism so they produce noise. There are some Air Purifiers too that uses filters that do not make noise or produce very minimal noise. The noise level of an Air Purifier should be checked when buying as you would definitely not be comfortable sleeping in a room with a noisy air purifier even if it is doing its job.
Energy consumption is simply the amount of energy or power used. Air purifiers are devices that make use of electricity so they do consume energy. Your Air purifier will be on for most of the time so the amount of energy it consumes should be put to mind so it does not affect other electrical appliances in the home. You should seek after an Air Purifier that does not use many watts, look for one that does not consume much energy so that you won’t have problems with operating it. Most air purifiers typically consume 50 to 200 watts of electricity and that should be OK.
Maintenance and Upkeep
Anything you have, if you want it to last long, you definitely need to maintain it properly and same goes for your Air Purifier. Not only do you need to properly maintain your Air Purifier to last for you, not maintaining it properly will affect its day to day performance and you would not get the most out of it. What you should be more concerned with about your Air Purifier is the air filters and you should change them immediately a replacement is needed. They are usually not too expensive and would not cost you much. Air Purifiers with an ionic air cleaner is usually easier to maintain than the ones that make use of a HEPA filter or Carbon filter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q; What type of Air Purifier Should I buy?
A; The type of air purifier you should buy depends on what you need an air purifier for as they are different Air Purifiers with different features.
Q; Do Air Purifiers Get Rid of Dust?
A; Air Purifiers were specifically designed to remove dust so yes they do help get of dust and other particles as well.
Q; Can you sleep with an air purifier on?
A; it is safe to keep an air purifier on all through the night as you sleep, it can help in improving the quality of your sleep. However, if you are not too comfortable with it, you can just run it for a few minutes before going to bed.
Q; Should I leave my air purifier on when I’m not home?
A; No, it is not advisable to leave any device on when you are not at home. Make sure you turn off your Air Purifier before leaving the house.
If you happen to be dealing with Allergies, getting a good Air Purifier will certainly help a great deal in improving your health.
If you haven’t used or even heard of an activated carbon or charcoal filter before, there’s no need to worry. These filters are generally one of the least known and lesser understood filters on the market today. In general, these are the kinds of filters used in an air purifier. Many people don’t know about […]
If you have pets then you definitely know what pet dander and per hair can do at your home. Pet hair are everywhere – on your clothes, furniture, dinner table. These machines will help you to goet rid of them. Featured below are the top 7 air purifiers for pets, dander, and hair. 1. GermGuardian AC5250PT […]
The Germ Guardian AC4825 3 in 1 True HEPA air purifier witSanitizh UV er and odor reduction is number one best seller. This air purifier is one of the best in the price range under $100. The Germ Guardian AC4825 Air Cleaner is ideal for small to medium spaces and has a recommended room size of […]